2. What is your role at Turfscape? Explain any job responsibilities.
My primary function with the company is to provide highly detailed and accurate bid measurements, estimates and proposals for prospective customers who have chosen Turfscape to provide a service quote for their facility or property. In addition to my estimating role in the sales department, I also help the operations department with some account management duties of commercial sites. Here my goal is to take a proactive approach to managing their property so they can focus on other aspects of their job and leave the grounds maintenance to the professionals at Turfscape.
3. How long have you worked at Turfscape? If you’ve held different positions at Turfscape, please explain.
I have been with the company since December of 2008. I have mainly been in the sales and marketing department throughout my years with Turfscape but my position has changed dramatically over the years. When I first started out I was just the “measuring guy”. All the property takeoffs where done in the field by walking with a measuring wheel over every inch of the property. By 2010, measuring properties had been taken to the next level by incorporating goilawn.com (web based GIS utilizing high resolution aerial photograph) to do the property takeoff measurements. By 2012 I had expanded the role of my position to include full responsibility for estimating and pricing all snow and landscape maintenance bid requests. In 2016 my responsibilities with the company expanded yet again as I assumed some account management responsibilities with the operations department. I have also helped out with new hire orientations and in the Operations department as a snow skid/plow truck operator.
4. How long have you worked in the landscape industry? Share any pertinent info.
I have been in the industry since the spring of 1995. After working for the City of Dearborn in Michigan as a City Planner, I found myself back in Cleveland in the winter of 1995 without a job and I had a friend who owned a small landscaping company at the time. I decided that I would give landscaping a try until I could find another City Planner position in Cleveland...
5. What industry AND non-industry designations/certifications/degrees do you have?
I am a 1992 Graduate of the University of Toledo with a Bachelors of Arts degree in Geography and City Planning.
6. What is your favorite project you worked on at Turfscape and why? It could be a Customer or Giving Back Project. If you have multiple, please share all!
There have been so many memorable projects that I have worked on that it’s hard to select just one. Since I am the self-proclaimed “map nerd” my daily function of measuring properties using goilawn.com keeps me engaged daily. Big picture – I relish the large project bids that Turfscape has the opportunity to bid on. These projects pull the whole team together working towards the common objective of putting together the best possible bid that will result in a new contract being awarded to Turfscape. It’s neat to see the whole collaboration dynamic and then to see the project from its infancy to contract being awarded is quite amazing.
7. What is your favorite Have Fun at Work event that you attended and why? If you have multiple, please share all!
Loved the outing at “Skyzone”. Anytime you can bounce around like a fool on trampolines for an hour or so with your co-workers to release some steam is always a good thing.
8. What is the one thing about you that might surprise people?
I once ate 22 pancakes in one sitting at an all you can eat buffet.
9. What do you enjoy doing when not at Turfscape?
Riding my bicycle, trail running, yoga and generally hanging out with my beautiful wife Jill and our kitty cats Bubba and Chloe.
10. Anything else you’d like to share about yourself?