At some point working in the landscaping industry developed the negative connotation of being a dead end job. This mindset couldn't be further from the truth, and working for a professional landscaping company can be a very rewarding career choice for anyone.
In fact, landscaping is a very large industry accounting for $98 billion in yearly revenue, according to .With over a million of individuals working in the green industry, it has to be more than just a dead end job. Here are a few reasons why a career in landscaping can be very rewarding.
It's a business
Just like any business, a landscaping company still needs all of the functions just like any other business would.
- Sales & Marketing: There is a service that needs to be sold, therefore sales and marketing are an essential component.
- Estimating: All landscaping contracts and projects needs to be measured and bid in order to provide a competitive proposal.
- Human Resources: There needs to be hardworking and talented individuals to perform grounds maintenance, snow removal, and install beautiful landscapes. Therefore a strong HR department is important to recruit these talented landscapers.
- Finance: Budgets need to be prepared, assets needs to be depreciated, bills need to be paid, and invoices need to be sent out.
Operations Management: Services such as grounds maintenance, landscape installs, & fertilization needs to be planned and scheduled, so companies need a strongoperations management team.
- Account Management: Customers need someone to nourish the relationship, and handle any concerns or complaints. Contracts need to be renewed.
- Landscape Design & Architecture: Landscape installs need to be planned out and designed.
No Experience Required
Most landscaping companies will hire someone with no experience at all. At Turfscape we focus on hiring for the right personality and invest in training for skill set. A commercial landscaping company like Turfscape will invest a lot of time and effort into training and education so anyone with an interest in working outdoors can learn a productive skill set.
Whenever a mid to higher level management position opens up, Turfscape will always try to promote from within. Doing so allows the company to provide career advancement opportunities to their team and gives them something to work toward. It also creates a competitive environment that drives production and high performers can be rewarded by advancement. Promoting from within is also beneficial to the company because they can develop their employees so they are ready to take on the challenge of management.
Fun Work Environment
Working outdoors with a crew of landscapers that you enjoy working, and joking around with can be a lot of fun. At Turfscape, we believe in this concept so much that one of our core values is, "Have Fun At Work". The company cookout, Christmas party, or friendly competition goes a long way in developing a fun work environment.
When the people you work with are your most valuable asset as they are in a commercial grounds maintenance company like Turfscape, it only makes sense to invest in hiring and developing the best. That is why at Turfscape, our Human Resources team has the motto of, "WE ARE ALWAYS HIRING THE RIGHT PEOPLE". If you or someone you know might be interested in a landscaping career please